Sunday 16 January 2011

Listening practice

It's this time of the year again. I always discuss the issue of practicing their listening skills with my students; and every time I repeat and insist on the importance of "real" material, such as songs and films. They usually react a little strongly at first, as they think of it as additional homework. Then we discuss on whether they are already fans of any particular singer or band. This is a good way to make them forget about the "homework" part and convince them that it'll be an activity that they'll eventually enjoy!
However, I have to remind-even to myself-the significance of "savouring" and enjoying the English language, or any other language... Who knows, listening to something different other than Greek music, might even result being a discovery for Greek students!
Films, on the other hand, could be used in a great variety of ways. Since we Greek are used to reading subtitles in foreign speaking film, I recommend when students rent DVDs to set the subtitles in English.
Anyway, this may lead to a big discussion about the educational system and the method used by the private schools here in Greece. I'll get back to it later.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger